Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Story.

Well, as requested by the masses, here is my blog about my return to Africa. :)

It was my Sophomore year of college.  I decided I would embark on an adventure of sorts during my Spring Break.  And that is when my love for Africa began to blossom.  In March of 2007, I arrived in South Africa.  I spent my time there working at an aids orphanage.  I was never afraid.  I was never afraid of becoming sick or harming myself.  The way I saw it, I was enhancing their quality of life.  I was providing love to the forgotten ones.  The majority of the babies/children were literally left at the gate of the orphanage.  


This sweet girl was dropped off at the orphanage almost immediately after birth.  She was found in the dirt the following morning at the entrance of the orphanage.  She was positive for AIDS.  And I loved her so much.  She passed away a few months after I returned to the states.

You see, in the slums of South Africa, medication necessary for life simply isn't available.  So many lives are cut far too short because medical advances haven't reached some parts of the world.


I left South Africa with a broken heart.  I knew the fate of those children and I wanted so badly to stay.  My love for Africa had officially begun and I knew that my life had changed forever.

An opportunity came my way at the beginning of my Junior year.  It involved Africa and I knew I couldn't say no.  This time, I would venture to Uganda.  In December of 2007, I found myself in Hoima, Uganda.  Immediately my heart was stolen and I knew that part of it would always remain in the area with huts and dirt-laden roads and the most beautiful of people.



I spent my time roaming throughout the village and volunteering at an orphanage.  I would spend hours with families discussing Christ and our religious beliefs.  We would share stories about our lives and exchange thought-provoking questions.  

Hoima became a part of, what I consider to be, my home.  I established great relationships with many people there and knew that it was only the start of something good.  

I returned home, only to begin planning my next return.  It was my Senior year of college and life was more hectic than I care to remember.  But I always had something to look forward to.  Africa.  

In December of 2008 I went back to Africa.  My experience in 2008 was far different than that of 2007.  This time, I spent my time at the local hospital and orphanage.  These two places weighed heavy on my heart.  



I was also fortunate enough to spend a few days at a resettlement came near the border of the Congo.  People fleeing the civil war that was happening in the Congo ended up at this resettlement camp.  And they were thankful.  They were thankful for shelter, food, and peace.  It was their oasis from the chaos.  There was a large lake that separated the Congo from Uganda. I will always remember the red tint of the water that separated war from peace.



After our time at the resettlement camp, we returned to Hoima.  A few short days later it was time to say goodbye.  This had to be one of my hardest goodbyes to date.  





I knew that I would always be involved with this area of the world in some capacity.  I also knew that it would be quite some time before I would be able to return again.  I was graduating from college in 2009 and immediately starting Grad School.  My life would become a roller coaster of research papers and exams.  Traveling would not be an option.  I always prayed that I would be allowed to return at the right time.

I also knew that I wasn't getting any younger.  I desired marriage and wondered how Hoima would fit into that picture.  I began praying for a future mate that would support my adventurous spirit and heart for Africa.  And this guy happened.
Brian was supportive from the moment we met and even liked my tattoo! (It is the outline of Africa and says nkugonza, meaning love in Runyoro).
Brian and I agreed to go to Uganda together and I am so excited to say that we are making that a reality this summer!
My heart is consistently brewing at a rapid pace for the people of Uganda.  I dream about their faces and tell their stories of heartache and praise.  I stare at my feet and dream about the roads they’ve walked down.   I am so unlikely and He deems me worthy.
I covet your prayers for the group of us that will be traveling there and desire your prayers for the people of Uganda.  He isn’t done with them yet.  He isn’t done with us yet.  He isn’t done with me yet.
Until All May Know,

Erica

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. MOM! You wrote that signed in under my account! hahaha

      Delete
  2. Oh Erica! I'm glad your escapades in Africa led you to Hoima, my very home town. Someone should have given you 'Empaako' pet-name culture of the Banyoro, mine is Amooti but let me christen you with Ateenyi and Atwooki for Brian, mum will be Akiiki. I'm not sure which part of Hoima you visited but I'm glad to read that it left a lasting impression on you. About your tattoo, 'nkugonza' actually is in Runyoro which is the language spoken in Hoima and four other districts which form Bunyoro Kingdom. Our King is Dr. Solomon Gafabusa Iguru Agutamba (like my name coz am from the ruling clan, babiito). It's your mum, whom am friends with on Facebook that led me to your page and am gld I read your story. I'm in Beijing finishing my Masters and I hope to be home by end of July. If you're interested, you can discuss with Brian and mum about establishing community projects in Hoima, I have land in several areas of the district, we can do more for the people there...am currently trying to find partners in Beijing...for further correspondence, contact me via k.agutamba@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why I wrote Lugandan. I know it is Runyoro and have fixed it - haha. It may be because I was reading English to Lugandan translations while writting my blog.

      My pet name is Aboki. :)

      My contacts there are at Hoima Baptist.

      Delete